Thursday, January 10, 2013

Tablets outpacing laptops

Yesterday on Episode 34 of Total iPad, I mentioned how I thought tablets would soon outsell laptops and it seems we might already be there. There is an interesting article on All Things D stating exactly what we where just talking about.

Notebook_vs_Tablet_130103

I guess the thing that stuck out to me was the fact that the smaller iPad and smaller tablets in general were going to be the projected big sellers.

In 2013, the research firm expects it to account for 45 percent of the market, surpassing the 9.7-inch size pioneered by the original iPad, which will account for about 17 percent.


I still do not think we are at a point where tablets can replace laptops for serious work yet but I do think people who are buying new devices are looking at tablets first and maybe hanging on to their older laptops. For me personally, I use my iMac as my main computer and my iPad has replaced my Macbook as my mobile computing device. I guess it depends what you need a computer for, I use my iMac mainly for video editing so what I can do on my iMac blows past any video editing app that I have on my iPad. I guess for the general public who are only using a computer for Tumblr, Twitter, Instagram, etc., the iPad or iPad mini would be perfect for them.

What we need is a Macbook Air that can run both OS X and iOS, or an iPad that can run OS X and OS X applications. One can dream right?




Image via: All Things D

No comments:

Post a Comment