Tuesday, August 28, 2012

Conservative Talk Radio (review)

Rating: 4 out of 5

The name says it all.  When Chris first mentioned this app to me, I
thought, "Ermegerd, flashbacks and hot flashes!"  I spent 17 years
driving almost 1.7 million miles as a truck driver and the last thing
I wanted to do was review a talk radio app.  I spent most of those 1.7
million miles listening to talk radio and I lived with the frustration
of going in and out of AM radio station coverage, AM night signal
fading, being in syndicated markets and trying to find the station
listings for my favorite talk radio shows, and so forth.  XM Radio
made things better, but it left large gaps, like Rush Limbaugh, who
wasn't contracted with XM Radio.
So, then came the web and radio stations took to the web.  It should
have got better, but it really didn't because they wanted you to sign
up for all sorts of crap, java plug-ins, ect., ect.  It was and is
just a hellacious user experience.



So, what is the solution for some good conservative talk radio access?
The Conservative Talk Radio app is absolutely bad to the bone.
Why?  Because it's stupid simple and it simply works.

If you have a 3G iPad or a hotspot from a cell company, I imagine you
can simply listen to CTR anywhere and at anytime.  When you open
the app, it is automatic and instantly works with the last radio
station you had selected; for me that is WSB AM 750 in the ATL.  I
enjoyed this station when I drove and it was the little bit of joy I
had when I was in the ATL area.  When I say instantly, I mean
instantly.

The big advantage to CTR is it's simplicity.  When you open the app,
all the available personalities are on the left side and when you get
to the bottom of the list of personalities you will find a continued
list of radio stations which generally have conservative formats.

They cover everybody from William Bennett, to Neal Boortz (my personal
favorite), Laura Ingraham (who I can't bear), Hayworth, Limbaugh,
Beck, Alex Jones, Sekulow, Medved, Hannity (arghh), Jason Lewis (never
heard of the guy, Mark Levin, Hedgecock, Savage, Dennis Mill (I forgot
he had a show), Prager, *And then* a list of all of these folks "best
of" shows, when applicable.

The radio stations are the hard core conservative flag ships of the
country and then a couple "networks," such as the "Sons of Liberty"
network and the "Red State Radio" network.

If I could suggest another station, it would be WLW 700 out of
Cincinnati, which is essentially the Fox News of Talk Radio! Other
than that, if I could suggest improvement, it would be the ability to
order the stations as you wish.  Currently, there are no settings
whatsoever and that's why I gave it a 4 out of 5.

Download the app from iTunes:
Conservative Talk Radio - Schatzisoft

No comments:

Post a Comment