Tuesday, August 7, 2012

My most used iPad apps

Below is a list of the applications that I use almost everyday and how I use them on my iPad.  I use other applications but these are the apps that I have come to know and love.

 

The Apps


GoodReader for iPad - Good.iWare Ltd.  -  I use GoodReader for so many different things on my iPad. GoodReader is like a Swiss Army Knife of applications, I probably use it most for transferring documents from my Mac to my iPad so I can use my iPad as an external storage device. I also use it as an FTP client on my iPad so I can download and mange documents I have stored on a hosting server that I use as a backup.

Downcast - Jamawkinaw Enterprises - This is my favorite podcast application on my iPad. I listen to a lot of podcast and Downcast is my favorite way to do it. I prefer Downcast over Instacast because it has a lot more sharing features and it is easier to navigate and find things about the podcast I am listening to.

Quicklytics - Google Analytics App - ESCOZ inc. - I have several websites and with each website I have setup my site to use Google Analytics so I can gather information about who is using my site, how long they are on the site, what country they are from, etc. Quicklytics shows me the same information that I could get on Google.com/analytics but in a native app on my iPad. One of my favorite features is the 'real-time' which allows me see up to the minute stats about page views and visitors.

Day One (Journal/Diary) - Bloom Built, LLC - If you have ever listened to any of my podcast or if you follow me on Google+ you will already know how much I love Day One. After a recent update to the application it is by far my single most favorite application. Yes, it is a journal application, but I use it for so many other things and not just on my iPad but also on my Mac. If you have a chance check out some of the hacks by Brett Terpstra which can be found here and here. You can also check out the tools section on the Day One website. (Please note that these extras are for the Mac version of Day One.)

Mr. Reader - OliverŸ - This is the best way to read RSS feeds via Google Reader. I also use Reeder on my iPad but I prefer Mr. Reader because it has so many more options for sharing, especially to Twitter if you have multiple accounts you can switch and tweet to any account you choose to. Also you can use multiple Google accounts.

Instapaper - Marco Arment - I use Instapaper as a bookmarking service more than a read later service. When I do my weekly "News" links on Total iPad almost all the links are saved during the week via Instapaper. I save links each day that I find throughout the day and then move them into my 'iPad' folder at night before I go to bed. Then on the weekend when I post my news article to Total iPad I will open up Instapaper navigate to my iPad folder and copy the links to the articles.

Tweetbot€” A Twitter Client with Personality for iPad - Tapbots - Ask any iPhone or iPad user what the best Twitter client on iOS is and I would bet probably 8 out of 10 would say Tweetbot. Well, you do not have to go ask 10 people, you can take my word for it that it is the best way to use Twitter on your iPad!

30/30 - Binary Hammer - This is nothing more than a timer app on your iPad but I use it daily for things such as making my coffee, exercising in my living room and of course when I do my Total iPad podcast I set up timers so that I don't spend too long on one particular topic.  Of course I always go over the limits I set on the podcast but having the timer there helps remember that I should start wrapping things up.

OmniFocus for iPad - The Omni Group -  All you need to know and learn about this app is GTD.

Blogsy - Fomola - Quite simply the best way to manage a blog and upload new content to it from the iPad. If you have a Wordpress blog or a Tumblr blog and you are using an iPad then you will want this app so that you can post new topics to your blog from your iPad. I use Blogsy several times a week to post to my Tumblr blog as well as the occasional post here on Total iPad. It is a great way to blog on the iPad when you are away from home.

 

If you have any questions about any of these apps feel free to contact me on Twitter  @iCrizzo

 

No comments:

Post a Comment