Sunday, October 14, 2012

AudioBooks.com (review)

Tick-tock, tick-tock... don’t you wish you had more free time?  Time for yourself, perhaps time to read?  If you are anything like me, you may find it tough to find the time to sit down, relax, and read.  If so, Audiobooks.com may be a great solution for you.

Why Audiobooks.com?  Well, in today’s busy, multi-tasking world, it is quite challenging to take the time to read.  When I attempt reading time, I become edgy and do not have peace of mind, because I know there are other productive tasks that still need to be finished. With Audiobooks.com, I am able to read (via listening) while I clean, exercise, walk, hike, commute, and travel.  I love every minute of it.  I feel almost as if I’m in “The Matrix,” having knowledge downloaded into my brain. This, imo, is multi-tasking at its finest.

[photos_bar]

Audiobooks.com features over 15k of the most popular titles available for listening.  The unique thing about Audiobooks.com is that they have an unlimited, all-you-can-read plan for $29.95 per month.  It comes with a free seven-day trial available.  You need to enter in your payment (Visa, MasterCard, AMEX, or PayPal) details upon signing up for the free trial.  After the free trial ends, you will be charged $29.95 per month.  So if you do not want to continue after the free trial, be certain to set a reminder for yourself on the seventh day (or sooner) to cancel.  However, should you want to continue the service, simply do nothing and your membership will continue.  There is not a penalty to cancel... no contracts!  If you prefer a-la-carte, there is a $19.99 per book option as well.

There are several ways you can listen to Audiobooks.com... from your browser directly on your Mac or PC (compatible browsers per their website are IE9, FireFox 15.0, and Safari 6.0, however I found it worked wonderfully in Chrome as well). You can also download the free Audiobooks.com app for iOS or Android.

I have been using the Audiobooks.com app on my 3rd generation iPad, iPhone 4s, and Samsung Galaxy S III.  The thing I really enjoy about the app is that the titles are synced at the account level.  Meaning that if I start listening on my GS3, then move over to my iPhone 4s, then hop onto the computer to listen in my browser, and then open the iPad Audiobooks.com app, it remembers where I left off via “Resume.” Also, as I browse the titles online, I am able to “Save for Later,” from the website, or via the app with “Save Book.”

Upon listening to the title in the app, after three minutes the title will download to your device.  This is great so that you will not have to stream the content.  If you are traveling and do not have data connectivity, this option really comes in handy.

I have been listening to audiobooks for many years, and am thrilled to have Audiobooks.com as a source for listening to some of my favorite book titles.

Pros:

  • Unlimited Books

  • Over 15k titles and growing

  • Best Sellers

  • Clean UI

  • Resume feature

  • Download to Device feature

  • Accessible on iOS, Android, and via web


Cons:

  • Playback is not offered at faster speeds (1.5x, 2x, 3x)

  • Title library is limited upon comparison with competition


Overall, I recommend Audiobooks.com.  It is easy to quickly consume audiobook content, especially if you have commutes. "Unlimited Listening" is quite a bargain.  Try it free for seven days, and see if Audiobooks.com is a fit for you!


Download the free audiobooks application for your iPad in the App Store: Audiobooks - Audiobooks.com
Audiobooks - Audiobooks.com

No comments:

Post a Comment